Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Pre Production Major Project: Directing Styles Research

I have been researching into different ways to direct people/films. There are many different styles I could take, so I have been looking at them all and deciding which ones suit me best.


The Dictator
In this style of directing, the director has a strongly assertive role and is very dominant in the process of creating a theatrical work. Rehearsals are more or less fully controlled and predictable, with the actors having little or no say.

The Negotiator
‘The negotiator‘ is a style of direction in which the director focuses on a more improvised and mediated form of rehearsal and creation, using the ideas of the production team and actors to shape a theatrical work in quite a democratic style.

The Creative Artist
The director sees himself or herself as a creative artist working with the ‘materials’ of dramatic creativity, be they the actors, designers and production team. The “creative artist” wants input from the actors but, as artist, has final say over what is included and how ideas are incorporated.

The Confrontationalist

In this style of directing, the director is in constant dialogue and debate with the cast and the production team about creative decisions and interpretations. The director seeks out and actively engages in such exchanges. Out of these exchanges, which can sometimes be heated or risky, comes a final contested product.

http://www.edubuzz.org/dgs_drama/styles-of-directing/

I believe I am a mixture of the top 3 when directing films. I am always making sure I am listening to different peoples opinions while shooting, whether it's the actors or production team, as I understand that people may think of spontaneous shots/movements on the day which I may not have thought of. I always create a shot list, however I am open to making it flexible as I, along with others, will all have creative minds on set and will think of other ideas which could enhance the creativity of the film. On the other hand, I am very much in control when directing, and the talent as well as my team will always listen to me and my final decisions. The key to directing a successful film is having respect from everyone, as they are more likely to listen and comply to my directions. That's one quality I take great pride in, and I believe that helps me separate from the rest. Actors and actresses are always going to perform at their best when they are comfortable, and respect/get along with the director. This means people/social skills is a big part of directing.

I have also been researching into HOW to direct different shots. Here is an example I found which shows how a director should see different shots:

"For example, you may be walking down the street and you come across two of your friends having a small picnic at one of the tables in the city park at the corner. Your mind will probably direct your eyes into the following views of the couple:


  • First, you would have a Wide-Angle or Long Shot of the entire scene.
  • As you walk toward the couple, you will look at one person, and then the other.
  • As you come closer, you might shift your focus and look at what is on the table.
  • Your next glance will probably be at the first person who speaks to you.
  • As the conversation continues, your eyes will shift from person to person, from person to table, from an action of one person to that person’s face etc., etc. The combinations could be endless."
Source: http://www.livewritethrive.com/2013/02/13/string-shots-together-to-make-scenes

To me, this is a great way of describing what happens in a directors head when constructing shots. When creating my shot list, I am going to use this research to make sure I am thinking of every scenario correctly and in detail. This has shown me that there are endless amounts of combinations when filming different scenes, so it's up to me to decide on my style and use it consistently.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment